Thursday, May 6, 2010

Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe

Homemade pizzas are a regular item on the menu at our house.  I make the dough from scratch and we usually like the traditional tomato based sauce and toppings.  Every now and then I'll deviate from the traditional and make DJ and I something with a different sauce and topping, but the tomato sauce is our favorite by far.  Since we do go through a lot of pizza sauce, I decided to come up with my own recipe and make a huge batch of it and pressure can it.

I bought a pressure canner/cooker a couple months ago and have used it a couple times.  It's a bit intimidating at first, but it sure does what it's suppose to and it's a great feeling to know that you've cooked and preserved fresh meals that will last on your shelves for a long time.  It's awesome for those days that you just don't have it in ya to cook.

Here was my first successful batch of pressure canned jars of turkey chili.  So cool!


Anyway, back to the reason for this post.  I used several recipes as the base for my final pizza sauce concoction and it turned out pretty dang yummy.  It can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. to make as much as you need.

Homemade Pizza Sauce

1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
3 TBS of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp orageno
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder

You can vary any of these seasoning to your taste preference.  Put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until it reaches your desired consistency.  We like a thinner sauce, so I let my food processor run for about a minute.  And that's it!  Spread on your dough for pizzas or this would make a fantastic bread stick dipping sauce.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I so excited to hear that you got your pressure cooker. They are a bit intimidating, but way cool. We are always thinking of things we can pressure can.

    Sauce sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete