Friday, April 29, 2011

White Cupcakes - Amber's Delectable Delights

The kids and DJ all enjoyed one of the cupcakes I made yesterday for dessert last night and then I shipped all the remaining cupcakes off to work with DJ this morning.  I can't have yummy cupcakes overflowing in my kitchen or my diet will go out the window.  Besides, I plan to make lots and lots of recipes until I find just the right one, so out with the old and in with the new today!

Next up, White Cupcakes from Amber's Delectable Delights.  Again, this recipe called for only 12 cupcakes and again, there was just too much batter for only 12 cups.  But I am staying true to these recipes the first go around, so I filled them up to the top.  They rose quite a bit and have that muffin top I don't like.  I only baked them for 16.5 minutes instead of 20.  I also used clear vanilla extract so that they would be true white.  Unfortunately, they still have a yellow tint to them.  I had to use salted butter since I had no unsalted butter on hand, but I ommitted the 1/4 tsp salt.  These cupcakes turned out too dry.  They were not overcooked so I know it wasn't that.  And there just wasn't enough flavor to tempt me to make them again.

For the frosting, this time I tried Brown Eyed Baker's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.  I followed it exactly as the recipe perscribed with the exception of using salted butter instead of unsalted.  I didn't have any unsalted on hand.  The frosting is very creamy and smooth.  It is pretty sweet though.  And definitely soft.  I put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and when I took it out to pipe with I had to wait about 5 minutes for it to warm up before I could work it through the tip.  But once I did, the frosting held up beautifully.  It pipes well, is pretty sweet and would be fine left out of the refrigerator.  It's in the running.

1 comment: