Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wellness Bag

I made my Mom a Wellness Bag for Christmas. It included a Heat Therapy Bag, a Cold Therapy Bag and an Eye Pillow.  I put all three bags into a drawstring bag I made as well.  I partially used the tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew! for the therapy bags, except that I didn't use rice or flax or any of the fillings that she recommended.

I did quite a bit of research on what the best fillings were to put into heat therapy bags and found this site to have the best information.  So I went with corn feed for the filling and I was very happy with how it turned out. I also added some dried rose petals, dried lavender and dried eucalyptus into the bags.  I avoided the essential oils based on the information the site above gave about potential hazzards when microwaving.

The hardest part about this project for me was stuffing the bags with the filler.  If I make more of these in the future I'm going to think that part through a little more and come up with a better method.  I had corn and dried flowers everywhere when I was done and it took way too long.

The "Ahh" Bag and the "BooBoo" bag both have washable covers, so you can see the inserts in the last picture below.  I made tags for each of the bags as well. If anyone ever wants the templates I can make them available.

What made this project kind of neat was that I used fabrics my Mom gave me that she had been hanging onto for years.  She bought them way back when and never found a use for them.  When she opened the gift she was so excited that I had put them to use.  I think I'm going to make some of the cold "BooBoo" bags for my kids when they get owies.  Much cleaner and easier to pull one of them out of the freezer instead of getting a ziplock bag of ice.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment