Thursday, February 25, 2010

Girl Skirt WITHOUT an Elastic Waistband

I was at it again today, testing out my skills with gathering and knit.  Today went quite a bit better for a couple reasons.  First, I was only using knit for half of the project and second, the tutorial I used was brilliant.  Somehow I stumbled upon The Mother Huddle blog and found this tutorial for a no elastic waistband skirt.  It's such a great idea so I had to try it out.

It just so happens that I have been dejunking and reorganizing the kids bedrooms this week and had a huge pile of clothes that were too small and needed to be toted up and put in the attic.  After reading through some repurposing blogs today I started too look at this pile of clothes with new eyes.  I pulled out two dresses of Addison's that I knew I could do something with.  I also had a huge bag of my clothes that I was ready to take to Good Will that I pulled back out of the car and rummaged through with this great tutorial in mind. 

I'm so glad I did a "second take" with these clothes.  So many new possibilities!  So many cute ideas floating around in my chaotic little head!  And here is the result of today's adventures.

 I forgot to take a pic of the dress before I cut the top off, but you get the idea from this picture.  

I gathered the top of the new skirt piece and then cut the bottom off of my old stretchy knit shirt.

I measured Addison's waist and sewed the new waist piece to fit.  I had to do this step twice.  The first time I made it too big so I cut it up again and resewed it.  Better too big than too small, right?

Sew the two pieces together and TA DA!  It's such a great skirt because the waist band is super stretchy and will allow her to wear it for a long time.  Maybe a piece of clothing will actually last longer that one season for her!  WOW, what a concept.

(STUPID BLOGGER keeps turning this photo on its side and I can't get it up and down. ARG!)

Now I need to refocus myself on some boy clothes.  I could tell Ethan was feeling a little left out today when I gave Addison yet another skirt.  Time to use my cute new knit fabrics to make some boy pants!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen that idea for a maternity skirt too. I think I need one or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you did a lovely job...I thought I sent you an email, but could not be sure so thought I'd better pop over to say thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete